Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Omid Summer Night's Dream

The Omid pilot was loved by everyone at HBO and Fox except the one person making the decision. It died. But here's a scene from it. The set up: Omid (picture an Iranian Danny DeVito) is manager of a TGI Fridays type restaurant. Eager and gung-ho, he decides the place could use more lighting. So he goes to Home Depot to pick up the items the electrician said he'd need.


INT. HOME DEPOT - LATER THAT DAY
OMID APPROACHES A CUSTOMER SERVICE AREA.
OMID
Good afternoon. I wonder if you could help me?
CLERK
Sure. What can I get you?
OMID HAS A LIST.
OMID
Copper wiring, cables, solder, duct tape, and a timer.
THE CLERK IS SUDDENLY QUITE SUSPICIOUS.
CLERK
That's a lot of stuff you need.
OMID
Yes, I'm going to light up the city of Redlands.
CLERK
Right. So... how long you been over here?
OMID
Not long. I had a big job fall through and now I'm coping with my extreme disappointment. But with God's help the people back home will remember my name. (OFF THE CLERK'S FROZEN LOOK) Are you okay?
CLERK
Yeah, fine, just a little hot in here.
OMID
(CHUCKLING) Oh you don't know what hot is, my friend.
CLERK
Uh...okay...where you from?
OMID
Iran. But if everything works out the way I hope, I'll die in Redlands. (THEN) How reliable is that timer?
THE CLERK IS NOW SHITTING IN HIS PANTS.
DISSOLVE TO:

4 comments :

Michael Markowitz said...

That is hilarious! Well-played... Sorry it didn't go. Screw 'em.

Donita Curioso said...

Damn! Now I have to get HBO.

Anonymous said...

Guess they thought it would "bomb."
(Ugh, sorry).

Ger Apeldoorn said...

Have you considered offering it to the BBC? They have just started a wave of new pilots to try and find a couple of hip new shows. I believe it includes two pilots by Jennifer Saunders and at least one by Fred Barron, who has had so much succes exporting the American Formula to Britain. The time is more than right for a show like this. And Larry Gelbart used to work for the BBC too.